Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Vanity Fair


I received a great gift from my hubby a few months back, and it is something he knew I had been longing for.  A VANITY!! Yes, my own little area to do my makeup and a proper place to store it.  If you're a makeup enthusiast like me, this is crucial.  My obsession.....errrrr makeup collection started growing, and I was using a travel kit along with several miscellaneous bags to store my makeup in. That process got old really quick.  It was painful searching for makeup in bags. This vanity saved me.

This little area became a getaway for me, it was a little piece of heaven.  I found myself sitting at my vanity a lot, and fighting everyone in the house who I would occasionally catch sitting in my chair. The lights and the mirror made me feel like I was the main character in a movie, prepping myself for a scene (lol).   My vanity allows me to store more than just makeup, but all of my hair products, and jewelry too!  I bought a speaker to sit on my vanity to play music when I sit down to do my hair and makeup (I need music when I get dressed).  You don't have to love makeup to have a vanity.  I personally think every woman should own one.  My legs and back definitely love this purchase, because I can sit down and get into this face, versus standing up at a mirror for a long period of time.

Although I'm grateful for my husband buying my vanity, I wasn't a huge fan of the mirror or the lights he purchased. I'm in the process of upgrading both of those, so I'll show you the finished product when they arrive.  We all know, those two pieces are key to having a proper vanity.



I really drew inspiration for my vanity from a young lady who I follow on Instagram named "vegas_nay."  This vanity is GORGEOUS!  I love the simplicity of her vanity and how elegant it is.  


The vanity is vintage, and she refinished it.  The lights are from IKEA, and the stool is from Pier One.  It really doesn't take a lot to create this look, just time and patience to find the right pieces.

Here are some more vanities to inspire those of you looking to create your own!











No vanity can be complete with out nick nacks.  You know, little trinkets or accessories that fit your personal style.  Whether it be a vase, picture frames,  hand held mirror, or storage items.  I chose to flank mine with trinkets and storage items like this 60 compartment acrylic lipstick tray from Azar Displays.


This display unit is nothing shy of awesome.  Although it's made for a store shelving display, it's works perfectly on my vanity pictured above.  All my MAC lipsticks are displayed upside down, so I can easily sort through the names and find the one I'm looking for. You can purchase this display for $12.50 at  http://www.azardisplays.com/productcart/pc/Sixty-Compartment-Lipstick-Tray-W-Tester-140p765.htm




If you keep up with the Kardashian's like I do, then you saw this GORGEOUS acrylic makeup case in the bathrooms of Kourtney and Kim Kardashian.  I almost jumped through the tv when I saw it.  Of course I ran to google to find it, and the price stopped me from making a purchase. 
:(

That just made me look harder, and I found a second cousin to the acrylic makeup case made by MUJI. 


I purchased 2 of the Large Acrylic drawers for $26.75 a piece. I purchased one with a top opening lid (stacked on top), and one without.  You can stack as many as you like, and I absolutely LOVE THEM! These can be purchased at http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases/acrylic-case-2-drawers-with-lid-large.html





I found another acrylic storage box for my blushes at my favorite store, The Red Circle Boutique aka Target.  I found this one through one of my favorite Youtube guru's Ms. NitraaB, and had to have it. This organizer can be found in the Bathroom section of Target.






I was out at Big Lots and spotted this super cute storage box.  When I saw it, my vanity instantly came to mind!!!  How cute would this be to sit on a vanity!?






It comes in many different styles, and the storage box is completely mirrored.  This little box retails for $20.00!  How awesome is that for something so chic!?






Stay tuned for the reveal of my vanity, as I continue to fight a 10 year old girl who demands on sitting at my vanity trying on all my lipsticks, and my husband who thinks it's the perfect place to sit and look at his iPad.   
















19 comments:

  1. Big Lots this huge mirrored vanity just like your inspiration one! I couldn't buy it but never forgot about it! I LOVVVEEE this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mirrored box is too cute!! I have to get one! Try Home Goods also...I have been kinda obsessed with them lately! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in Home Goods in a while! Will do! Thank you Chanda!

      Delete
  3. LOVE the idea!! My husband wanted to make me a vanity area in our bedroom... I declined but HONEY, I may have to reconsider. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must have! Thank you so much for the support!

      Delete
  4. LOVING your blog Tish!! Since I'm on bed rest you are giving me a shopping fix, although it makes me want to run out the house and spend ALL of my $$!! love ya- great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAURA!!!! Awww, well it looks like I'll be seeing you Sunday! Thank you for the support!

      Delete
  5. You're in my head! (and a lot of others heads - I am sure)lol My dressing room inspiration came from the 2nd vanity pic above (AcupofMai). I love her dressing room and vanity. I found a cute mirrored 3 draw box at Home Goods. I also picked up some acrylic make up holders at Marshalls for my vanity. So you're not alone honey! Up next on my wish list is a clear "ghost chair"...whew! I can't wait. Anyway, I say all that to say I too wish for all things girly in a vanity setup. Keep up the good posts! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else said they found the mirrored 3 box drawer at Home Goods. I also want a clear ghost chair!! Thank you so much for your support!!!!

      Delete
  6. I love your blog. I follow you on instagram just to see what you are going to do next (hair, makeup, etc.) I love your style can't wait to see what's next!! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it Tisha and your blog, Congrats!!!! I've been in search for a vanity because I've been trying to find one besides the one I've been having my eye glued at pier one imports. lol I'm so tired of leaning on the bathroom sink and carrying the travel makeup bags.......completely understand! You're so creative, I'm sure you'll find something Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Thank you sooo much Jessica!!!! If you're still in the Detroit area, I would recommend FRED's on E. 8mile near Gratiot. They have tons of vintage vanity/desk, that could easily be refinished and super cute as a vanity. Thank you sooooo much for your support!

      Delete
  8. You have TOTALLY inspired me to do a vanity. I have the space so i don't know WHY I wrestle with lugging all my makeup into the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! TP I love you!!! thank you for the support!!!!

      Delete
  9. A VANITY!!! Why haven't I thought of this ages ago??? Lol!! I will be creating an area in my bedroom to set up a vanity. I have soooo much makeup and its in makeup cases, bags, boxes...just everywhere!! This is a GREAT idea!! I can't wait to get started!! Thanks for the inspiration Tish!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best thing since sliced bread!! Super easy to do, and affordable. A great way to create a makeup space and get organized! Share pics of it when you finish, my new Facebook friend! YAY US! THANK YOU for your support!!!

      Delete